The Salimo-Wits Leadership Competition is an essay contest for young Nigerians in tertiary institutions. The essay writing Competition is an initiative of Salimo-Wits Foundation (SWF) designed to awaken the youth on the issue of leadership and entrepreneurship.
Objectives Of Salimo-Wits Leadership Competition
- To identify and celebrate the creative talents of budding young Nigerian writers.
- To promote the writing abilities and develop the intellectual capacity of Nigerian students.
- To provide a platform for young Nigerians to write about their perspective on leadership and contribute to important national issues.
- To encourage and enhance research skills of Nigerian students.
The Salimo-Wits Leadership Essay Competition is open to Nigerian youths between 18 to 35 years.
Essay Topic: HOW WOULD YOU MOVE NIGERIA FROM BEING A THIRD WORLD TO A FIRST WORLD NATION?
Competition Rules and Regulations
- Entry into the competition is FREE.
- All participants must be an undergraduate of an approved Nigerian tertiary institution.
- All Participants must be legal residents of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Submissions should not be more than 2000 words and not less than 1500 words. Essays violating this criteria will not be evaluated.
- Only one entry is allowed per participant.
- Essay must be original works of the student, with clearly acknowledged references.
- Entries may not have been previously published in professional media.
- All entries should be typed in double line spacing, font type Times New Roman and font size 12 points. Submissions are accepted only in Microsoft Word document format and in electronic format. All other formats will be disqualified.
- Entries shall be judged on the basis of originality of ideas, content, organization, mechanical accuracy, clarity, persuasiveness of writing, creativity, use of language and appropriateness to contest theme.
- Entries must also include details such as your full name, email, contact phone number, and scanned copy of a recent passport photograph.
- Plagiarism in all forms is prohibited as indicted entries will be absolutely disqualified.
- By entering the competition, the participant transfer the copyright of the submitted essay to the Salimo-Wits Foundation giving the organization the right to reproduce, distribute and broadcast the essay in printed, electronic or any other medium, and in turn to authorize others to do the same. Salimo-Wits Foundation will also have the right to edit the essays as deemed appropriate for publishing. By electing to participate in the competition, all participants agree to be bound by the abovementioned.
- All entries will be validated by an independent panel of judges whose decision (s) shall be final.
- Contestants must like Salimo-Wits page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/salimowitsleadershipinitiative and follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/SalimoWitsf
- The contest is open from 17th October 2016 to 23rd December 2016. Entries sent later than 5:00pm (local time) on 23rd December 2016 shall be disregarded.
- The essay must be written in English.
The winners will be selected through an assessment process that will be supervised and reviewed by an independent panel of judges comprising distinguished experts and active participants in the literary industry in Nigeria; who shall shortlist, interview and grade the best (Ten) 10 entries. Three (3) winners will proceed to the finals. The winners will be notified of the results by email or phone.
The judges (Panel) will assess the originality, creativity, logical development and strength of expression in the essays in addition to usual composition requirements content, organization, mechanical accuracy, use of language and appropriateness to contest theme. The panel of Judges will also serve as umpires to ensure that the rules of the competition are adhered to. The decisions reached by the panel of Judges will be final.
The winners (Top Three Finalists) will be presented with prizes and decorated at a Prize Giving Ceremony which will be attended by Top Nigerian Dignitaries in the public sector, private sector and civil society. The overall winner will be invited to read the winning essay at the event. The winning essay will also be published on Salimo-Wits Foundation website and in one of the prominent Newspaper in Nigeria. The event will be publicized in the print media.
Winners of the Salimo-Wits Leadership Competition will be awarded the following prizes:
- 1st Prize: N70, 000 + Certificate of participation and appreciation.
- 2nd Prize (The first runner-up): N50, 000 + Certificate of participation and appreciation.
- 3rd Prize (The second runner-up): N30, 000 + Certificate of participation and appreciation.
‘SWF ValuePack’ which comprise of;
- Youth-empowerment books by Nigerian Authors.
- Mobile devices etc.
Essays should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, alongside participant’s personal data (Full name, Age, Name of Institution, E-mail Address and Phone Number). The final deadline for submission will be Friday, 23rd December, 2016 (5pm GMT). The finalists will be notified via email/Phone.
Enquiry Lines: Call: +234 8028281092, +234 8096604576 or send an email to email@example.com